Wind machines, tender moments and heavy hardware for Stapleton.
This year’s ACM telecast had it all. I have the attention span of a sugared up 3rd grader on the last day of school. Yet, I was thoroughly entertained and intrigued by every performance. This televised showcase really hit checked all the boxes that make this a tremendous music format.
A few surprises? Check. (Luke stealing Dierks’ opening salvo moment – I know. It was staged. I stilled giggled)
A nod to the rich history of country music? Double check. Dolly could have performed all night. (And Katy dressed like a cowgirl, so there’s that)
A big heart? You betcha (A Nashville record rep I talk to weekly say that’s a Midwestern term) Tim McGraw’s “Humble and kind” was one of those special moments – that appeared at just the right time amidst a political election kerfuffle, social media bullies and national newscasts that can be increasingly hard to consume.
Trophies to likely winners? Yup. I can’t say there was a surprise in the bunch.
- Luke Bryan’s opening ditty about huntin, fishin’ lovin’ every day – Heck, that sounds like it could be a theme song for country – way better that workin’ cryin’ and despair – which also sounds like a country theme song
- Kenny Chesney’s social commentary “Noise” which I watched while looking at my phone
- Chris Young and the Shania Twain outfit inspired Cassadee Pope rocked it with “Think of You”
- Eric Church is equal parts classy and a rebel
- Thomas Rhett’s “Holy Crap God” was funny, genuine and heartfelt
- Kelsea Ballerini got 2 songs! And a wind machine!
- Ashley on our Facebook page had the line of the night on Carrie’s dress “What was that? A metal cage dress? I loved “Church Bells”. Probably won’t see that dress at church though
- Brett Eldredge paid homage to Janet – from Three’s Company
- Urban is so fun to watch!
- It looks like national companies see the power of country spokespeople. Chris Stapleton is a Traveller…in a Dodge RAM truck.
A few things could have been better:
- Poor Chris Janson watched the ACM’s from Wal Mart – Cole Swindell from the parking lot.
- Those off site arena shots don’t do much for me – Seems contrived. Garth in Vegas would have been better than Garth in Calgary. Give the spotlight to someone who is in the building.
- Those canned conversation cutaways were odd – some more than others.
- The writers on the CMA Awards Show are better.
- Katy Perry appeared more patronizing than heartfelt. Dolly could have carried it by herself.
- The Grammy Awards go over by an hour, let’s make this telecast longer.
Overall grade B +
Sioux City, IA